Prof. (asociat) dr. Alice KELLER
Date of birth: 13 March 1964, Geneva Switzerland
Nationalities: British and Swiss
Languages: bilingual English/German, good knowledge of French, some Italian
Professional titles: Dr. phil.; wissenschaftliche Bibliothekarin; dipl. Natw. ETH
09.1989 - 10.1996 ETH Library Zurich
- Selection of English books and journals for library collection.
- Participation in development and introduction of acquisitions module in the integrated library system ETHICS.
- Online database searches for scientists (Dialog, DataStar, FIZ, STN, etc.)
- Introduction of electronic journals at the ETH Library.
09.1994 - 02.1995 Springer-Verlag Heidelberg
Introduction to publishing
- 6 months training programme at the Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, Germany.
- Introduction to all departments of the publishing house with special emphasis on sales and electronic media.
10.1996 - 02.2000 ETH Library Zurich
- Assistant to the Director of the ETH Library.
- Project and fiscal management.
- Interim Head of Acquisitions from 09.97 - 08.98.
- Project work for the Swiss National Consortium (2 major reports).
Summer semester 2000
Lecturer at University of Applied Sciences Cologne
- Interim post as lecturer for library and information science.
03.2000 - 09.2003 ETH Library Zürich
Head Collection Development
- Responsible for acquisitions, cataloguing, subject specialists, periodical department, electronic resources. Includes licensing of electronic resources (55 staff members, annual acquisitions budget SFr. 10 mio).
- Introduction of the electronic dissertations at ETH Zurich.
- Project manager ETH E-Collection (document server of university).
Since 2002 Universitatea Babes-Bolyai, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visiting Lecturer / Associate Professor
- Lecturing on "The modern library" with special emphasis on library management, collection management and electronic resources.
Since 10.2003 Oxford University Library Services (OULS)
Head of Collection Management
- Responsible for collection management at all libraries belonging to OULS, including Bodleian Library; development of collection profiles, monitoring of expenditure, budget planning and allocation.
- Responsible for Legal Deposit at Bodleian Library
- From April 2005: Head of Bodleian Acquisitions
- From August 2005: Responsible for Electronic Resources
- Member of UK Legal Depost Libraries Committee, Collection Development Subgroup.
Education and professional training
04.1976 - 06.1983 Gymnasium, Zurich
10.1984 - 07.1988 ETH Zurich
- Dipl. Naturwissenschaftlerin ETH (University degree in life sciences)
09.1988 - 06.1989 Polytechnic of Central London
- Postgraduate Diploma in Technical and Specialized Translation
10.1991 - 06.1993 Zürcher Bibliothekarenkurse
- Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Librarianship
09.1998 - 12.2000 Humboldt University Berlin, Prof. Robert Funk
- Dr. phil.; PhD thesis on "Future Development of Electronic Journals"
University of Applied Sciences Cologne, Germany
Summer semester 2000, interim post as lecturer for library and information science.
Various assignments as visiting lecturer at
- Universitatea Babes-Bolyai, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- University of Applied Sciences, Chur
- University of Applied Sciences, Lucerne
- Postgraduate Diploma Course in Academic Librarianship, Zürich
- Consortium of Academic Libraries of Catalonia, Barcelona
- "ULEP: Universities Leading Edge Programme". Professional Development Programme for Professional Services in Higher Education. - Bath University, 4 modules in 2004/2005.
- Diploma Course for Non-Profit Management (VMI Fribourg), Nov 2002 thru Nov 2003.
- "Orientation Center". - ETH Zurich, 12-14 March 2002.
- "St. Gall Junior Business School". - St. Gall Management & Business School, 29 November - 10 December, 1999.
- "Communicative Competence". - Institut für Angewandte Psychologie (IAP), Zurich, 18/19 February, 3/4 March 1999.
- "Fiscal Management in University Libraries". - HBZ, Hilden (Germany), 16-18 February 1998.
- "Financial Management". - Verbands-Management Institut (VMI) of the University of Fribourg, 21-26 September 1997.
- "Process-Oriented Management". - EPA, 17-18 September, 1997.