Interethnic marriages: between an exercise of tolerance and a modern expression of indifference. 1895-2010
Intermarriage throughout History
5-8 June 2013, Cluj-Napoca
Wednesday, June 5th
1200 -1700 Registration desk, "Universitas" Hotel, 7 Pandurilor st., first floor
1800 - 2000 Introductory briefing and Welcome Reception -- “Babes-Bolyai’’ University, 1 Mihail Kogalniceanu st., Aula Magna (2nd floor)
Thursday, June 6th
Universitas Hotel, 7 Pandurilor st.
Main Conference Room, first floor
900 - 1030
The Analysis of Mixed Marriage in the Collective Mentality
Organizers: Daniela Marza, Marius Eppel
1.Carmen Albert, The Analysis of Mixed Marriage in the Collective Mentality
2.Elena Glavatskaya, "Depending on Nationality…" Views Among the Public and Experts on Mixed Marriages in the Urals
3.Alexander Pinwinkler, The Professor and the Needlewoman: Cultural Exogamy in German and Austrian Middle Classes in the 19th Century.
1030 - 1100 Coffee break
4.Mihaela Mehedinti, Cecilia Sava, Marriage and Identity in Transylvania during the First Half of the 19th Century as Seen by Foreign Travellers
5.Corneliu Padurean, The Mixed Marriage in Arad during Communism
6.Mudure Michaela, Sui Sin Far: Chinese Family Facing Cultural Diversity
Conference room 2 (first floor)
The impact of various historical events on the evolution of mixed marriages
Organiser: Ioan Bolovan
1. Ilona Czamanska, The Christian Wives of the Ottoman Sultans before the Second Half of 15th Century
2. Sarolta Solcan, Mixed Families of Greeks and Romanians in Walachia
3. Elena Bedreag, Solidarity Strategies and Conflicts within Moldavian Family. Greeks' Matrimonial Policy during 17th and 18th Century.
1030 - 1100 Coffee break
4. Florin Valeriu Soporan, Loyalty and Hostility: the Mixed Marriages in Royal Families in the Middle Ages: Cases from the Eastern and Central Europe
5. Valeria Sorostineanu, Intermarriages in the Deanery of Sibiu (1860-1918). Community and Law
6. Claudiu Rusu, Mihai Muresan, Between "Ethnic Harmony" and Social Integration: the Status of Three Mixed Marriages (Mixed Families) in Communist Romania.
1230 - 1400 Lunch Time
1400 - 1530 Main Conference Room
Jews and Christians - Marital Exchanges and anti-Semitism in Europe
Organiser: Peter Teibenbacher
1.Aura Pintea, Marriage between Jews and Christians in the 20th Century in Maramures County. Oral History Research.
2.Wilko Schröter, Mixed Marriages between Jews and non-Jews in Vienna, 1881-1918
3.Mihaela Grancea, Representations of Jews in the Romanian Transylvanian Literature of the Years 1907-1914. Case Study: Marriage between Jews and Christians as Harmful, Illegal Relation
4.Viktor Karady, Paradigms of Denominational Heterogamy over Changes of Political Regimes with Special Focus on Jewish-Christian Marriages in Hungary (1895-1949)
1400 - 1530 Conference Room Number 2
Inside Mixed Marriages. Children and Descendants of Mixed Marriages.
Organiser: Luminita Dumănescu
1.Nicoleta Roman, Caught Between two Worlds: the Children from Romanian-Gypsy Families in Wallachia (1800-1870)
2.Constanta Vintilă-Ghiţulescu, Mixed Marriages, Mixed Children: between Norms and Practices in Romanian Society (18th -19th Centuries)
3.Uku Lember, Identity Formation of the Children from the "Russian"-"Estonian" Marriages in Soviet Estonia (1950-70s): Evidence from Oral Histories
4.Tanya Matanova, Descendants of Interethnic Marriages - Home(land)-Localization, Individual and Collective Identification on the Example of Bulgarian-Slovak, Bulgarian-Russian and Bulgarian Ukrainian Persons
5.Luminita Dumanescu, Being a Child in a Mixed Family in Present Day Transylvania.
1530-1600 Coffee break
1600 - 1800 - Main conference room
The elements concerning mixed marriages in the secular and religious laws
Organiser: Pr. Ioan Chirila
1. Alina Felea, "Mixed Marriages in Basarabia in the 1st half of the 19th Century: between Legislation and Reality"
2. Siegfied Gruber, Marriages Across Religious Boundaries in Albania around 1900
3. Bogdan Mateescu, Intermarriages involving Gypsy Slave Population in 19th Century Wallachia, State and Church Policies
4. Lilia Zabolotnaia, The Legislation Concerning Mixed Marriages in Southern and Eastern Europe (Medieval and Modern Times)
5. Viorel Achim, The Issue of the Marriages between Freemen and Slaves in Moldavia in the Last Decades of Slavery
6. Marius Eppel, The Evolution of Laws Concerning Mixed Marriages in Orthodox Church between 18th and 20th Centuries.
1600 - 1730 (1800) Conference room 2
6. The Quantitative Dimension of the Mixed Marriages
Organisers: Mihaela Haragus, Bogdan Craciun
1. Anna Cabré and Joana Maria Pujadas-Mora, A Measurable Intermarriage Wave: French Migrants Marrying in Barcelona at the 16th and 17th Centuries
2.Fatiha Loualich, Alger in 17th and 18th Century: the Dimension of Mixed Marriages
3.Agustin Grajales Porras, Intermarriage Among Ethnic Groups in Late Colonial Mexico
4.Katus, László and Nagy, Mariann, Mixed Marriages in pre-1918 Hungary
5.Gunnar Thorvaldsen and Hilde Leikny Jåstad, Consanguineous marriage in 19th century Norway - An alternative to mixed marriage?
6.Bogdan Craciun, Daniela Marza, Mixed Marriages in Cluj in the Inter-War Period
7.Mihaela Haragus, Intermarriage in Romania as Reflected in 1977, 1992 and 2002 Censuses
8.Traian Rotariu, A Statistical Analyze of Official Data Concerning Mixed Marriages in Romania, (2006-2010)
2000 Cocktail - Universitas
Friday, June 7th
900 - 1030
The Explicative Mechanism of Mixed Marriages
Organizer: Traian Rotariu
1.Nicoleta Turliuc, Catalin Turliuc, A Conceptual Framework of Intermarriagges: Factors Associated with Marital Outcomes
2.Yulia Prokhorova, Mixed Marriages through the Prism of the Concept of the Fourth Demographic Transition
3.Sara Settepanella, Sentimental Relations Among Italian Men and Migrant Women. How Migration Affects Place and Time in the Making of Mixed Couples
1030 - 1100 Coffe break
1100 - 1230
4. Guy Brunet, The Marriage of Europeans in Algerian Towns in the Second Half of the 19th Century: Open to Outsiders or Not ?
5. Sirca Viorel, Motivation, Advantages and Challenges on Romanian Emigrant Women Married With "Strangers": Between Approval and Rejection. Five Case Studies.
6.Victor Karady, Tentative Theses on the Social Functions and Consequences of Jewish-Christian Mixed Marriages in Modern Times
1230 - 1400 Lunch time
1400 - 1530
Mixed Families without Marriages
Organiser: Antoinette Fauve-Chamoux
1. Helena da Silva, Families, Marriage and Free Unions in Portugal.
2. Paolo Matos, Maria Norberta Amorin, Carlota Santos, Marital Relations Among Individuals Born In and Out of Marriage. Compared Observations in two Portuguese Cities: Guimaraes and Évora between the 17th and 19th Centuries
3. Ofelia Rey Castelao, Mixed Family Without Marriage in Northern Spain (17th-19th Centuries)
1530 - 1600 - coffee break
1600 - 1900 (-)
Mixed Marriages and Transcontinental Migration: Continuity and Change.
Organiser: Marie-Pierre Arrizabalaga
1.Eva Morales Raya, Mixed Marriages between Spanish Immigrants and Paraguayan Women (1870-1932)
2.Marie-Pierre Arrizabalaga, Mixed Marriages Among French Immigrants in California, 1850-1950
3.Claudia Contente, Migration and Marriage in Almirante Brown (Buenos Aires, Argentina) at the End of the Nineteenth Century
4.Maria M. Camou and Adela Pellegrino, Intermarriage in an Immigrant Society: Montevideo, 1860-1908
5.Wako Asato, Cross-Border Marriage for the Security of Care: Rapid Ageing, Family Integration and Asian Cosmopolitanism
6.Viorela Telegdi-Csetri, The Cosmopolitanism of Transnational Families
7.Solvi Sogner, Transnational intermarriage in the North Sea area. Norwegians and the Dutch connection in the 17th Century.
Apuseni Mountains Trip, Wine testing (Jidvei)
© 2011 by Luminita Dumanescu
All Rights reserved